You may have noticed that I write an article for the EMPOWERING WOMEN Category once a week. I feel that beauty comes from the inside and projects outward, from self-confidence! Therefore, it’s important to tackle any issues us women over 40 are facing which makes us feel less sexy or beautiful. We shouldn’t want to compete with 20 year olds! (not me!). So, let’s look at this pesky issue, shall we?
I know, you’re probably wondering why I am tackling this subject. I feel that it’s important to discuss it. Sometimes, it’s tough to feel good and sexy while experiencing annoying peri-menopause symptoms. Right?
Today, we’re going to tackle “sweating” and how to deal with it while still feeling sexy!
I am one of those people that doesn’t ignore anything about my body. If I feel that something is up with it, I research the problem. I am very in touch with my body as I don’t use any birth control pills or any type of hormones or other pills (All – VERY BAD for your body). I also never run to the doctor every 5 minutes. In fact, I avoid them like the plague unless something is horribly wrong with me. I believe in prevention of disease, therefore I take very good care of my body by eating a very healthy (mostly vegan) diet and by walking regularly. Likely, if we take care of our bodies, it will take care of us. We only have one vessel here ladies, so please take care of it. We abused it enough in our twenties, right?
Onto the fun stuff…to make a long story short, I figured out about a year ago that peri-menopause had come to find me. How did I figure it out? I was never a person who really sweat much. In fact back in the day, I would sometimes forget to wear deodorant, and it didn’t matter. I just wasn’t one of those people who really sweat, ever. And, I never had much of a body odor because of my mostly vegan diet (your diet does affect the way you smell). Then one day, I started sweating, a lot. It came out of nowhere! My non-alum deodorant wasn’t even working on the odor. I was petrified and horrified at the same time. I’ve NEVER smelled in my life. Ever. So where was this coming from?
Oh ya and I’ve had a few night sweats already too. I don’t even mind those as they kind of feel cleansing like a detox in a sauna, you know?
Anyway, after some initial panic (it wasn’t going away and I only had one deodorant), I started doing research. For one, NEVER EVER use deodorant with Alum in it. Especially after 40. Stay even further away from any deodorant that says “Clinical” because they are full of Alum, even more than the regular anti-antiperspirants! Sure, I could have found some alum deodorant that worked but obviously I was searching for another natural alternative.
Ladies, some of you are going to sweat a lot during Peri-menopause. Just let it happen and DON’T try and stop it with aluminum clinical deodorant. Your body needs to sweat. Deal with the sweating or develop breast cancer: Your pick.
So, how do we stay and feel sexy while dealing with this wet nuisance?
HERE ARE MY 5 TIPS FOR STAYING SEXY WHILE YOU SWEAT!
1. Always keep 4-5 natural deodorants at home. Sometimes one will work for awhile, then it won’t. Time to try the next one. I always use all of mine but need to switch it up when my body tells me it’s time. I currently have 5 deodorants which all work during different times. I know, confusing. Here are some suggestions for great non-alum deodorants: Life Stinks, Nivea Pure & Natural Deodorant, Weleda Wild Rose Deodorant (Love!), Dr. Hauschka Deodorant, Kiss My Face Liquid Rock Roll On Deodorant, Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal Stick, Crystal Body Deodorant Roll On. You can find non-alum deodorants for as little as $4 at the drugstore!
2. When in doubt, wear loose blouses or dresses. I do this particularly when I am ovulating and my hormones are all over the place. I know that my deodorants will work but I generally sweat a bit more during this time. Therefore, I wear light blouses or sweaters with dolman sleeves (see pic below) or dresses with sleeves that don’t cling to my armpits. You can also wear a classy tank or nice sleeveless top, and cover with a flowy cardigan.
3. Wear Perfume or Body Spray. Wearing a sexy perfume or light body spray does the trick for confidence. I always feel like a lady when I wear perfume (I do wear it daily though!). I grew up sampling lovely perfume kits that my parents would often bring back from their travels. I was trained early to have a nose for good perfume! haha. Though I stopped wearing nice perfume around 17-18 years old, (I rebelled and wore patchouli oil for years!), I did reincorporate them into my life again about 2-3 years ago and have never looked back. My latest favorites to wear this spring/summer are: Frederic Malle - Lys Mediteranee, Marc Jacobs -Daisy, Issey Miyake – L’eau D’Issey Florale, Fragonard – Marche aux Fleurs & Atelier Orange Sanguine (from my April Glymm Box!). Don’t like perfume? Put some Rose or Orange Blossom Water in a spray bottle and spray all over your body. Very natural, light and Fresh. Also great for your skin!
4. Carry a recyclable/washable pretty cloth/mini deodorant in your purse. Store a nice washcloth or flannel cloth in your bag along with a travel size deodorant. Sometimes, the sweat just comes in small buckets doesn’t it? The best way to tackle that, is to pat your armpits down with a nice soft fuzzy pretty cloth, when things get crazy. I’ve never had the sweats THAT bad, but I have used facial tissue for this purpose once or twice. If it gets to be more often, I will use a small cute makeup bag (like those ones you get for free: Lancome, Clinique…) and store a mini crystal deodorant and nice soft pretty cloth in it. Just like they started making maxi pads look cute so women didn’t scoff at them so much, why not carry a cute floral cloth to wipe your pits down? There is no shame it that, nor the floral maxi pads!
5. Adopt a Healthy Diet – This one is a bit tougher to achieve but as I said earlier, the beautifying starts inside! Diet change is crucial, particularly if you have a concern with bad armpit or body odor. It is best to start reducing meat/dairy intake or eliminate it altogether. Meat and Dairy will make you smell icky. Sorry ladies. Reduce to once a week or use meat and dairy alternatives. Being mostly vegan, if I have any odor at all right now, it is minimal and tolerable. Eating more soy will also help with symptoms. Compared to most women, I have little to complain about because of my diet. I already eat whole grains, soy, raw produce, tofu…and when I look up how to alleviate Peri-menopause symptoms naturally ,I am already doing the right thing. YAY! Though I have been eating like this for over 10 years now. It has paid off!! I know this is a sensitive topic for some as many cling to their old eating habits. But ladies, we gave up our micro-minis to avoid looking like a cougar right? We also need to give up those old bad food habits from our 20′s that aren’t helping us in the long run. Avoid too much wheat (try spelt, kamut or brown rice pasta or bread). I promise, a healthy diet REALLY helps and will make you feel gorgeous!